In this post, we reveal everything you need to know about alabandite, including its meaning, properties, and uses. Let's get started!
Alabandite is a gemstone as unique as its name. If you have not heard about this stone, then it is no wonder. Also known by the name ‘alabandine’, this is a rare manganese sulfide mineral originally discovered in the mines in Alabanda, Turkey. Known for its harmony and balancing properties, alabandite is commonly used by crystal healers, therapists, and other healing experts.
Since this stone is hard to find, only a few people know about it in detail, and that is exactly why we are going to discuss this stone in more detail. So let us begin.
- Alabandite Meaning
- Alabandite Pronunciation
- Alabandite Uses
- Where is Alabandite Found
- Alabandite in Peru
- Alabandite Properties
- Alabandite Healing Properties
- Alabandite Metaphysical Properties
- Alabandite for Sale
- Alabandite Jewelry
In the 1700s, alabandite was first discovered in the mines of Alabanda, Turkey. The stone gets its name from its place of discovery. It was found and described for the first time by an Austrian mineralogist Franz-Joseph Müller, Freiherr von Reichenstein. The true alabandite crystal meaning lies in its properties, which we will discuss in detail below.
The stone is opaque and black, yet ironically, it symbolizes light, in the metaphorical sense of the word. It has been estimated that there are only about 8 kilograms of alabandite in the whole world, which emphasizes its importance even more.
The correct pronunciation of alabandite is ‘al-a-ban-dite’.
This smooth and glossy black beauty is not merely just a treat for the eyes. It is said to have healing properties that make it useful in crystal therapies for bringing about harmony and peace in interpersonal relationships. Crystal healers and chakra therapists claim that they can be used to calm the chaotic mind of a person and help in achieving coordination in all paths of life. Alabandite is used by them as a form of treatment to align the chakras and to instill serenity in stressful situations.
Where is Alabandite Found?
Although the supposed discovery of the alabandite mineral was in Turkey, there are only a few sources found there. Mineralogists believe that the location of discovery might have been wrongly noted at that time or the reserves might have depleted there. However, since the early 1700s most of the alabandite mineral has been found in Peru and Romania.
The Handbook of Mineralogy and other informative journals about gemstones suggest that the largest pieces of alabandite are around 1 inch in diameter and they are found in the locality of Nagyag in Romania and the Uchuchhacua mines in Peru. The findings in Peru are as recent as 2008. Rare specimens have also been found in the Broken Hills of Amsterdam, although they look quite different from regular alabandite. These specimens are spread over 15 cm and are rougher in texture.
Alabandite in Peru
The Uchuchhacua mines are in the Oyon province in Lima of Peru. In the year 2008, alabandite stones were found in those mines. They were around 1 inch in diameter and greyish-black in color. The original stone is not what we see in the market. It is grainy, rock-like, and has sharp edges. The granular structure gives these stones a very raw and rough appearance. The smooth texture is what we see after the stones have been tumbled i.e. polished and smoothed out to look like glossy pebbles. Thus they are called alabandite tumble-stone. The Bolognese province in Peru also has a few mines where alabandite can be found. Apart from these few locations, there have not been findings elsewhere in the world.
Let us now move on to talk about the properties of this rare alabandite mineral - physical, healing as well as metaphysical properties.
Alabandite Physical Properties
The alabandite stone is found in a few shades such as grey, black, dark brown, and steel grey. The original structure is coarse and rough. It looks like regular rock or gravel that one would find on the beach. It is mostly opaque, however, some parts may be slightly translucent. Alabandite is a manganese sulfide stone, which means that the stone can be mildly flammable.
Alabandite Healing Properties
Alabandite is said to have many healing properties. It is believed to align our chakras and bring about a sense of calm and peace into our lives. Crystal healers use alabandite healing techniques in their therapies to help people find lost balance and harmony. It is said to stabilize the mind and offer serenity in stress and chaotic situations by aligning with the earth’s chakra.
It is also said to help in becoming more graceful and coordinated. The balance here refers to both physical and spiritual. Healers believe that one can overcome clumsiness and find elegance in body movements, which can help to rearrange one's priorities and ultimately become better at achieving goals in life.
Alabandite Metaphysical Properties
As gorgeous as this stone looks and feels in one’s hand, beauty is just one of its aspects. Crystal healers believe there is still a lot that is unrevealed and unknown about the metaphysical properties of alabandite. What the healers do know is that alabandite can prove useful for your mental and spiritual well-being, which is brought about by its alignment with the root or base chakra.
Let us now take a look at a few metaphysical properties that make this stone such a magical entity in the world of rare gemstones:
- Alabandite is said to have its own 'light' that it can pass on to people to 'light up' depressing or stressful situations. The light can refer to positive and pure energy that may offer insight, hope, and strength to deal with chaotic situations and incidents in one's life.
- It is also believed that the stone contains powers of strength, encouragement, and sheer will and with the help of healers, one can imbibe these qualities in themselves through meditation and relaxation techniques learned professionally.
- Furthermore, professional healers have also claimed over the years that the aura of the alabandite stone is known to emit positivity that brings about order and calmness. It encourages growth in personality as one breaks free from the old, toxic cycles of habits, addictions, and relationships to realize the true power of will and determination.
- The positive energy from this aura is also known to improve relationships between families and boost healthy communication. It can help users recognize unhealthy relationships and work on improving their family dynamics. The harmony and calmness brought about by alabandite can also be seen seeping its way into interpersonal matters and repairing cracks that may have formed over time in love.
- As mentioned previously, alabandite is said to bring about balance, which helps to solve problems of the inner ear that cause health issues such as dizziness and vertigo.
- And finally, as the last benefit, it can carve a path to self-discovery and help achieve spiritual awakening as one begins to regain balance and emotional stability.
Alabandite for Sale
Alabandite is a rare stone and not easy to find, but that does not mean that you have no chance of finding it. While it may not be available locally around you, you can always order it from popular and trusted online marketplaces like Etsy. Many brand-official websites sell alabandite tumble-stones too. It is not commonly used in jewelry unless you specifically want it customized into a ring or pendant. The raw, grainy stones are tumbled to form smooth black tumble-stones that crystal healers and therapists often use. They are available in both small and large sizes, weighing around 6 to 8 grams.
The whole point of turning gemstones into jewelry is to keep them closely touching the surface of your skin for constant healing to take place and to get the most benefits out of the crystal.
If alabandite has worked for you and you would want to continue using it, then considering wearing it as jewelry would be a good idea. You can get them made from any trusted jewelry store for a reasonable price.
As mentioned previously, alabandite is rarely used for jewelry. However, for those who have benefitted from it and want to keep it in close nearby, here are a few ideas that you could try out:
- The smooth alabandite tumble-stone can be carved to fit as a pendant in a chain or necklace. The best metal to go with it would be silver or platinum, as both are cool metals that complement the properties of alabandite. Alabandite pendants will surely make a quirky piece of jewelry with mystic charm.
- Another cost-effective and trendy way is to use alabandite crystal in making the centerpiece for a ring. Since alabandite is available in small sizes too, it is every bit exquisite and the perfect fit for a ring.
- Alabandite earring studs are not very common, but these can be a good option if you are willing to experiment and try something new.
In conclusion, you can see that alabandite is a useful stone that is said to have a lot of benefits: spiritually, physically, mentally, and emotionally. It also feels super smooth to the touch, which is why it is a great idea to keep it on hand, literally. It is important to remember to purchase rare stones such as alabandite only from genuine and trusted sources after conducting proper background research to eliminate any possibility of receiving a fake stone.